Monday, April 28, 2014

The Spanish is coming!

From this weeks email. I told him that he was a great example to me to leave on his mission, going straight to the country without knowing the language.


*********************
So, to answer your question, how did I get the confidence? Well, I didn't. Before the mission, I had a "meh" kind of attitude. I was told if I worked hard, I'd get a wife. It was as simple as that!
And then I got here.

Holy flip it was a reality shock. But then again, this is really good for me. I'm learning to adapt to a strange and totally new environment, without technology or shade or grass of any kind. I'm learning new practical skills that actually apply to me, instead of how to become better at playing Battlefield 3 or Skyrim. I'm finally put into a situation where I need to know who I am, what I believe, and why I'm here. It's helping me get a resolve to do better, and to push this fantastic work into progress. And it's not just because I got to the wars in Alma, which are pretty cool. Just throwing that out there right now.
I have come up with a language study plan that seems to be working out ok. There are 5 lines in my planner that are meant for "things to do" however, I've been using them for vocab that I hear often. I look in my planner often, so I get familiarized with the words and the verbs that I put in there. I'm also listening to MP3 files of the BOM in spanish off my player, and I'm constantly adjusting my lesson plans with new sentences that I want to memorize. It's harder to learn a new language than you think.
Also, one complaint about this place. The american fast food, well, it sucks. They will only serve what they have in stock. If they don't have it, they either make you order something else or go away. I WANTED A CRUNCH WRAP DANGIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for supporting Joshua on his mission to Chile. Only positive comments, anything else will not be posted. Have a great day!